Talking to Your Child About Adoption
Your understanding of adoption and how it will impact your child is key to providing a well-balanced, secure foundation for your child. Planning and preparation will allow you to be able to initiate and participate in meaningful dialogue, as needed. Consider the following:
· How will you explain adoption to your child?
· What resources can you use to help with this?
· What feelings do you expect a child to have towards his biological parents?
· What do you think your child will feel towards his birth parents?
· What is your understanding of a child’s needs regarding his birth family?
· How will you teach your child about his/her race, cultural heritage, history, and customs, etc.?