Semi-Open Adoption and the Adopted Child.
Each child’s experience with semi open adoption will vary. These variables include the degree of openness, the ability to maintain communication, and the willingness of the adult parties to honor their commitments, to name a few. Advantages that a semi-open adoption may provide to an adopted child may include:
- Communication with birth families
- No birth parent/family search
- The child may know and understand some of the reasons for his adoption.
- Greater sense of self/ identity
- The child can answer the fundamental question of “Who am I?”
- May prevent sense of abandonment
- Connection with Cultural heritage
- Available medical history
- Access to birth records