Your Child’s Birthparents
Without your child’s birthparents, you would not be an adoptive parent. Your thoughts and feelings towards your child’s birthparents resonate clearly to your child. It is important for your child to be able to process his feelings towards his birthparents. He will need your help. You can assist him by keeping the following in mind:
- Don’t overlook the importance of your child’s birthparents
- Recognize that there will always be a parent/ child relationship, even if your child never has the opportunity to meet his birthparents.
- Understand that your child does need to talk about his birth family and openly initiate discussions.
- Recognize that even if your child does not talk about, or refuses to acknowledge his birthparents, that he does have thoughts and feelings about them
- Do not assume to understand why birth parents made the choices that they made.
- Always tell your child the truth, in the most empathetic way possible
- Show respect and courtesy towards birth parents
- Use positive adoption language when discussing birth parents
- Always keep your word to your child’s birth parents