Holidays and Adoption
Holidays can be an exciting and happy time for families, but for adopted children, they can also be an emotional trigger point, making the hustle and bustle of holidays a challenge. Feelings about birth families, or issues surrounding race and culture may come to the surface. Some children may experience feelings of sadness and loss. Certain holidays may effect a child, while others do not. Children may not be able to able to express their feelings. Ways you can help your child include.
- Start your own family traditions
- Minimize surprises, make plans in advance
- Try to stick to your routine
- Follow their lead, especially if they are overwhelmed
- Encourage them to acknowledge their feelings
- Acknowledge their loss and respond with empathy.
- Encourage them to find positive outlets to express themselves