October is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Awareness Month
- Always place babies on their backs to sleep for every sleep.
- Use a firm sleep surface, such as a mattress in a safety-approved crib, covered by a fitted sheet.
- Have the baby share your room, not your bed. Your baby should not sleep in an adult bed, on a couch, or on a chair alone, with you, or with anyone else.
- Keep soft objects such as pillows and loose bedding out of your baby’s sleep area.
- Prevent exposure to smoking during pregnancy and after birth because these are important risk factors for SIDS.