Moving Forward with Adoption
If your spouse’s reaction is not what you had expected, they may need more time or space to help sort out their feelings. It may be necessary to slow down, regroup and move forward slowly.
Seek out others who have adopted, or find an infertility or adoption support organization. Talking with others who have been there and done that may be beneficial. Meeting children and families formed by adoption may be just what they need.
Indicators that you may be ready to adopt are:
- The realization that actually being a parent may be more important than how parententhood was achieved.
- Spending more time talking about adoption.
- Noticing more or seeking out adoptive families.
- You have exhausted viable, medical options without success and no longer have the desire to pursue medical assistance.
- A feeling that a child waiting for you or that God is calling you to adopt.